1958 mystery car

6 replies [Last post]
jaffarski

Hi everyone,

I am new to this forum although I buy C&SC magazine fairly regularly.

What I'm trying to find out is any information about a car which is to be found on a prospectus of Continental Car Combine; a New York-based company, which decided to import Skoda and Goggomobil onto US market back in 1958. The mystery car is the one in the middle, the sVs Custom Italia. Please have a look.

http://imageshack.us/a/img846/378/skodareklamausa1958.jpg

Is it a Skoda? If not, than what is it? Any relevant information would be welcomed.

Coventry Climax

Aesthetically it looks a bit like it's been cobbled together from bits of a Renault Floride and a Lancia Appia Vignale, but what's lurking under the skin remains a mystery to me.

Anyone who has a copy of Nick Georgano's encyclopaedia ought to be able to provide the answer though.

Pothole

I just sent an e-mail to the Skoda museum. (museum@skoda-auto.cz ) I'll let you know what they say.

Chris Martin
Chris Martin's picture

Coventry Climax wrote:

Aesthetically it looks a bit like it's been cobbled together from bits of a Renault Floride and a Lancia Appia Vignale, but what's lurking under the skin remains a mystery to me.

Anyone who has a copy of Nick Georgano's encyclopaedia ought to be able to provide the answer though.

There is no mention of SVS or Custom Italia in Georgano's.

Chris M.

Coventry Climax

Chris Martin wrote:

There is no mention of SVS or Custom Italia in Georgano's.

Chris M.

It really is obscure then...

jaffarski

Thank you for your interest, gentlemen. I'm really excited about what the Skoda guys are going to tell us. Actually, I wonder how come that this idea didn't struck me in the first place...

gagebernardos

Well expose! I've come to know about the C&SC magazine fairly regularly after reading out your post. I think you've shared a better info for all. Thanks for this nice allotment and keep it up!!