Brooklands reunion 1967

2 replies [Last post]
DUESIE

The mention of Brooklands' 105th anniversary in the news story about the MGA reminded me of an event a long time ago. I think it was to celebrate the 60th birthday of the track in 1967. Were any of our readers there? I was a wee nipper who was mad about cars and was lucky enough to blag my way along with Lloyd, a school chum, and his dad who was a member of something, VSCC maybe, and we drove there in his Ford Consul Classic, which at least now justifies it's mention in this post if only for it's name. I guess it must have been in summer as I remember it was quite hot and sunny. We walked around a lot of it, back then what was left of the banking was neglected, crumbling and overgrown, and there were the remains of a few old aircraft parked here and there, I think this was well before the Gallgher's expansion and subsequent industrial estate. The main action was on the central runway where Bentleys, Bugattis ERAs and the like sprinted in pairs. That was the first time I saw old race cars close up, the first time I saw how twinned rear wheels  gave more grip, the first time I was shown how a preselector 'box needs warming up, and the first time I got a lung full of Castrol R fumes. There were a lot of old vintage and veterans parked around too, I had never seen so much brass before, and I wish I still had those blurred old black and white photos I took on my cheap plastic Woolworths camera and Kodak120 film. One favourite photo I do remember was of a Buagtti racer, probably a 35 or similar that I spotted coming in the entrance being towed behind a similar vintage late twenties looking Rolls-Royce formal limousine. Anyway, the point of this post is to ask if anyone has any other memories of that day and even better any photos. Or can anyone possibly recommend if the event was covered in one of the magazines of the time, maybe I need to dig up a copy of Motor Sport from late summer 1967? Anyone know any more?

DUESIE

Following up on that line of enquiry, I know Bill Boddy was instrumental in forming the Brooklands Society in 1967, and at the same time was editor of Motor Sport, so I found out that they did indeed include a report with photos in the July magazine and have since found a copy on eBay. Any other memories, reports, leads or photos would be interesting though.

GBt
GBt's picture

I seem  to recall maybe a picture of Bill Body looking a tad Mr Toad like in Goggles cap and Grapecoat, pilotting a Huge 12 cylinder 11 litre Fiat, Metastopholis.

Maybe the late Mr Boddy was on Motor Sports X Mas New 1967 year, however I have a nagging feeling it was in the pages of Motor and on their front cover.

Apart from the x Seagrave Napier Railton, my favourite exhibit ,at Brooklands, was/is car wise, the front wheel drive Miller Racer .