Dear James

45 replies [Last post]
Chris Martin
Offline
Joined: 2011-08-20

Hi James.

I think it is time this forum was cleaned up once and for all. As the spammers will not leave you alone, and it probably takes a lot of time and effort to clean up and delete their posts, is it not time you looked at a new format and user registration process for the forum even if it means shutting it down temporarily while the corrections are made? I am sure the users would not mind if it means a better, spam free space for all to have a free, fun, informative and intelligent discussion.

Maybe at the same time that could even stop GBt constantly re-inventing new identities to talk to, it's getting a bit like James Stewart and his friend Harvey the rabbit around here. And yes I have already anticipated the reaction that will provoke, but it needs to be said anyway.

Then, perhaps you might have a forum worthy of the effort.

Until then.

Chris M.

 

Martin Port
Martin Port's picture
Offline
Joined: 2011-04-12

Chris

James is in Stuttgart for a couple of days so I will reply on his behalf. Obviously we have noticed the increase in spamming and are setting aside a considerable amount of time each day in order to delete the posts and block the users concerned. Hopefully this will be a temporary measure as there are plans afoot to introduce a spam filter as soon as possible which, I hope, will make the experience a better one for all involved!

Many thanks for your patience.

Kind regards

Martin

n/a
rolymo35
rolymo35's picture
Offline
Joined: 2011-06-02

 Could someone please explain why there are an inordinate number of deleted Photobucket entries, do they have a time expired feature, or a malfunction of some kind. Is it a case subscribers becoming disenchanted with the site and see removal as a form of retaliation. I make mistakes with the installing of photo's because I am Pc incompetent,  the system takes a while to become familiar and even then seems  to  be inconsistant in the results.  Will this happen to me?

RolyMo

Martin Port
Martin Port's picture
Offline
Joined: 2011-04-12

There are indeed a number of broken links to Photobucket and Flickr hosted images. I have looked at several of these links and the original pictures do not seem to exist, hence the missing image icon. All I can do at the moment is suggest that if one of your own images isn't showing in a post, please go back to your album and double check that it is there and that the link is correct. There have been instances of the photo host sites changing the case of filenames or automatically moving images which then breaks the link. We will continue to investigate this end as well...

n/a
plastic penguin
plastic penguin's picture
Offline
Joined: 2011-06-14

Chris Martin wrote:

Hi James.

I think it is time this forum was cleaned up once and for all. As the spammers will not leave you alone, and it probably takes a lot of time and effort to clean up and delete their posts, is it not time you looked at a new format and user registration process for the forum even if it means shutting it down temporarily while the corrections are made? I am sure the users would not mind if it means a better, spam free space for all to have a free, fun, informative and intelligent discussion.

Maybe at the same time that could even stop GBt constantly re-inventing new identities to talk to, it's getting a bit like James Stewart and his friend Harvey the rabbit around here. And yes I have already anticipated the reaction that will provoke, but it needs to be said anyway.

Then, perhaps you might have a forum worthy of the effort.

Until then.

Chris M.

Agreed about the spammers - a pain in the backside. They totally spoil the experience for all of us amateur classic lovers. Something needs to be done, sooner rather than later. The problem reverts to the lack of involvement by the staff: Staff participation = happy forum, hence my previous reference to WHFI and their policy.

As regards GBt - I think you're a little hard on the man. We all have our own style of writing and strange little foibles. Yes, he does go off-topic, but as a screenwriter I kinda like that. He's a well meaning person; certainly shouldn't be lampooned because of it. 

DUESIE
Offline
Joined: 2011-07-06

FWIW I agree with ALL of the above.

plastic penguin
plastic penguin's picture
Offline
Joined: 2011-06-14

DUESIE wrote:

FWIW I agree with ALL of the above.

\ o /

GBt
GBt's picture
Offline
Joined: 2011-06-01

Thanks PP etc,  feeling  better for finally  cancelling my subscription as of yesterday , (you can manage your account on line-it states,you cannot manage to unsubscribe that way though)and am gonna go back to Classic American full time, and not have to buy it, as well as).but then I was probably adressing some call centre worker in Mombay- and not Sittingbourne for that premium rate call made. I am not going to add to the discontent about this forum one way or another or blame others, except oh yes I think I gave the way the forum is allowed to run on, this way, as my other reason for no longer wanting the mag, with such associations, so yes that is what I am doing, critisising that. CU maybe, maybe ( in the meantime takeing down more pics like you do when you move on).

Chris Martin
Offline
Joined: 2011-08-20

GBt wrote:

Thanks PP etc,  feeling  better for finally  cancelling my subscription as of yesterday , (you can manage your account on line-it states,you cannot manage to unsubscribe that way though)and am gonna go back to Classic American full time, and not have to buy it, as well as).but then I was probably adressing some call centre worker in Mombay- and not Sittingbourne for that premium rate call made. I am not going to add to the discontent about this forum one way or another or blame others, except oh yes I think I gave the way the forum is allowed to run on, this way, as my other reason for no longer wanting the mag, with such associations, so yes that is what I am doing, critisising that. CU maybe, maybe ( in the meantime takeing down more pics like you do when you move on).

Such a pre-teen hissy fit, and he wants to be treated like a grown up?

No, I was not having a go at him, as much as his many other usernames on here. But if he takes it that way?

Point proven.

Chris M.

 

Chris Martin
Offline
Joined: 2011-08-20

plastic penguin wrote:

Agreed about the spammers - a pain in the backside. They totally spoil the experience for all of us amateur classic lovers. Something needs to be done, sooner rather than later. The problem reverts to the lack of involvement by the staff: Staff participation = happy forum, hence my previous reference to WHFI and their policy.

As regards GBt - I think you're a little hard on the man. We all have our own style of writing and strange little foibles. Yes, he does go off-topic, but as a screenwriter I kinda like that. He's a well meaning person; certainly shouldn't be lampooned because of it. 

The spam problem is widespread and affecting many online sites and forums, but I am told, there are ways to eliminate most, by a tougher registration process. So that is what is needed here.

Or they will drown it in their rubbish.

My remarks about GBt were not at all harsh. He is quite entertaining in his own way, either take it as read, or ignore it as undecipherable, either way it is the reader's choice, but my comment was that while we may tolerate his ramblings as GBt, we do not have to put up with the numerous other aliases that he sets up just so he has someone to talk to. And as soon as one is found out, up pops a new one. If he wants to take over completely can someone point him in the direction of a free web-hosting service where he can create his own self-serving blog.

GBt is ok, and as far as I can I will try to understand and respond to his posts, but all the others? We don't need them.

Chris M.

 

Chris Martin
Offline
Joined: 2011-08-20

rolymo35 wrote:

 Could someone please explain why there are an inordinate number of deleted Photobucket entries, do they have a time expired feature, or a malfunction of some kind. Is it a case subscribers becoming disenchanted with the site and see removal as a form of retaliation. I make mistakes with the installing of photo's because I am Pc incompetent,  the system takes a while to become familiar and even then seems  to  be inconsistant in the results.  Will this happen to me?

Sorry RolyMo, I removed all of my photos from Photobucket when I realised some were being copied and used elsewhere without even the courtesy of a credit or a thank you. If there are any specific ones you want to see, email me. I could use a more secure photo hosting site that offers security from copying but that would cost me, not worth it.

We know for a long time GBt (and his various aliases) have removed photos (or whatever) as quick as they are posted. Why is that, I couldn't guess? But he has long had the habit of retrospectively editing his previous posts. Read any thread where he chipped in (that'll be most of them) and you will see if you read the top left corner of each post which shows time and date, that he has changed his post long after the subsequent posts that follow. Go figure, as our American friends would say.

As for the rest of the missing photos, I have no idea where or why they went.

Chris M.