Rover 3500 Estate

7 replies [Last post]
petrolhead

Until last year, I was oblivious to the fact that an estate version of the 3500 existed, but I came across one in the Haynes' Motor Museum. What amazed me more is that this was one of just two ever produced. I have a photo, but I don't have a clue how to post them. I'm sure if you Google it, you will find it. It was finished in gold. I have done some brief internet research about it, but I haven't found anything out about the second car.

Just out of interest, does anybody know the whereabouts of the other one?

Swordfish
Swordfish's picture

Yes there is a gent at the top of our estate with one-he has a couple of P6 V8 sedans too. Sorry not being funny Petrolhead, but I think they may have made more than just two, however if so what a rarity.

Chris Martin

petrolhead wrote:

Until last year, I was oblivious to the fact that an estate version of the 3500 existed, but I came across one in the Haynes' Motor Museum. What amazed me more is that this was one of just two ever produced. I have a photo, but I don't have a clue how to post them. I'm sure if you Google it, you will find it. It was finished in gold. I have done some brief internet research about it, but I haven't found anything out about the second car.

Just out of interest, does anybody know the whereabouts of the other one?

If you are referring to the P6 series 3500, yes there was a Crayford Estate conversion, although I seem to remember reading the design and adaptation was by FLM Panelcraft. I think they made a few, certainly more than two.

C.M.

Chris Martin

I just did a quick Google, one source claims 160 were built.

C.M.

Red Spider

I've just got back from a great day out at the Heritage Motor Centre at Gaydon, where they have the other SD1 estate, which was used by Sir Michael Edwards as his personal transport.

I'd put on a photo of it, but I've still not sussed out how to do it!

Robin.

Chris Martin

That is a hatchback, surely not an estate! More of the lady might be good though.

By the way, if anyone is Googling Rover P6 estates, I believe they were named the Estoura. No idea what it means, but it may turn up more info.

C.M.

Red Spider

This months issue of Classic and Sportscar (October 2011) has a feature about The Heritge Motor Centre at Gaydon with a picture of the Rover SD1 estate (LOE99P) in the top left of page 65.

Robin.

jagnut12
jagnut12's picture

Regarding the P6 Estates,I was informed by an expert that the FLM Panelcraft version was superior to the Crayford conversion,but I am no expert

and feel free to correct me.