The one that got away

18 replies [Last post]
Dinsdale Piranha
Dinsdale Piranha's picture
Offline
Joined: 2011-05-24

At the risk of dragging up painful memories I thought I might broach the subject of cars that we should have or could have purchased but didn't.

Mine was in mid 1998, the July issue of C&SC hit the mat with the cover adorned by a beautiful DB6 piloted by a somewhat less attractive James Elliott! Inside the mag, James regaled the readers with his tale of driving said Aston to Le Mans and enthusing about what a bargain the DB6 was.  Checking the ads showed a number of DB6s with prices starting around £24k, considerably less than my then wife and I were about to drop on a new TVR. Despite weeks of reasoned argument, gentle persuasion and outright begging she was not to be convinced and so disappeared my last chance to own a DB6.

I'm sure I'm not the only one to still mourn such a lost opportunity, or maybe you still breathe a sigh of relief that you didn't buy a particular car?

GBt
GBt's picture
Offline
Joined: 2011-06-01

When the lady commentating on the royal wedding said of the couple in Pa's DB6 Volante, oh they are just like any other young couple, well hmmm with a Range Rover up the car's chuff full of burley security guards, oh she twittered on, so unlike previous Royal Weddings, without the Pomp and ceremony of carriages, but hey they did that already, and I seem to recall the £6 million quid Bentley gifted to Wills Grandmama doing a couple or three round Robin trips, as did the Phantom 5 Limo- that Pink Floyds Guitarist little adopted spoilt brat helped redecorate, en route to the Royale variety Performance, then all that is just like any family's days out. The point really is that when I saw an ad for a DB6 Volante a twin of Charle's one, maybe trying to cash in on the same provenance, it was advertised for £250,000 and the more ludicrous in value these things become the less attarctive I find em-of course if money is no object too the true connousears, like Chris Evans, JK,Martin Chef bloke(sorry I laughed when his Mille LMille Maser bust a conrod, because he wasnt very nice to his Lady co driver(but did however buy her a loverly book in compo,)nand Nick mason who i met a few times once at Nick Lancaster's Fin; 40(a F40 displayed at the Tolbooth in the entrance to the overspill marquee, and later when i had my TBird parked around at Mum's gaff, people got wonfd of it and there was a big crowd around that and virtual scant attention to the ferraris and Porker .

For 3 grand I for once had a motor upstaging those guys, why fortune not lasting as their's yes i regret not buying an Austin 7, at age 12 for £7 but my pocket money, paper round car cleaming had stretched to a 175 Ducatti, secreted in some dissused stables, but later Chris Crafts brother Andrew, had a 36 or 7 Woody which when I was working on the farm, he pffers me for 30 pounds-it may even have been a right hooker, however that was thrice my preovertime wage then and he didnt want my PA Cresta, lovingly hand painted with a hamilton brush for part exchange, so as far as i know Andrews wifr Jackie continued to use the V8 Ford for Horsey Hey and straw carrying duties.

Anyway surfs up even if its not Ford. 

GreaseMonkey (not verified)

GBt wrote:

When the lady commentating on the royal wedding said of the couple in Pa's DB6 Volante, oh they are just like any other young couple, well hmmm with a Range Rover up the car's chuff full of burley security guards, oh she twittered on, so unlike previous Royal Weddings, without the Pomp and ceremony of carriages, but hey they did that already, and I seem to recall the £6 million quid Bentley gifted to Wills Grandmama doing a couple or three round Robin trips, as did the Phantom 5 Limo- that Pink Floyds Guitarist little adopted spoilt brat helped redecorate, en route to the Royale variety Performance, then all that is just like any family's days out. The point really is that when I saw an ad for a DB6 Volante a twin of Charle's one, maybe trying to cash in on the same provenance, it was advertised for £250,000 and the more ludicrous in value these things become the less attarctive I find em-of course if money is no object too the true connousears, like Chris Evans, JK,Martin Chef bloke(sorry I laughed when his Mille LMille Maser bust a conrod, because he wasnt very nice to his Lady co driver(but did however buy her a loverly book in compo,)nand Nick mason who i met a few times once at Nick Lancaster's Fin; 40(a F40 displayed at the Tolbooth in the entrance to the overspill marquee, and later when i had my TBird parked around at Mum's gaff, people got wonfd of it and there was a big crowd around that and virtual scant attention to the ferraris and Porker .

For 3 grand I for once had a motor upstaging those guys, why fortune not lasting as their's yes i regret not buying an Austin 7, at age 12 for £7 but my pocket money, paper round car cleaming had stretched to a 175 Ducatti, secreted in some dissused stables, but later Chris Crafts brother Andrew, had a 36 or 7 Woody which when I was working on the farm, he pffers me for 30 pounds-it may even have been a right hooker, however that was thrice my preovertime wage then and he didnt want my PA Cresta, lovingly hand painted with a hamilton brush for part exchange, so as far as i know Andrews wifr Jackie continued to use the V8 Ford for Horsey Hey and straw carrying duties.

Anyway surfs up even if its not Ford. 

Er yeah, right?

C.M.

GBt
GBt's picture
Offline
Joined: 2011-06-01

 

 

Dinsdale Piranha
Dinsdale Piranha's picture
Offline
Joined: 2011-05-24

Hmm, this thread isn't going quite how I thought it would!

GreaseMonkey (not verified)

Dinsdale Piranha wrote:

Hmm, this thread isn't going quite how I thought it would!

Sorry Dinsdale, it is going EXACTLY how I thought it would !

Chris M.

GreaseMonkey (not verified)

Anyway, back to ones that got away. I remember being offered a Monteverdi in the late seventies. It was left in a garage near the Royal Lancaster Hotel in Bayswater and was yours for the price of outstanding storage fees. I can't remember how much exactly but it was small change. I guess I was a couple of quid short of small change at the time. Since then there have been many missed gems, but sometimes head rules heart. I passed up on a good solid Mercedes 450SEL Crayford Station Wagon for $3k in Melbourne a couple of years back, then when saw it later with it's new owner, I realised it was probably the best one to survive. Then I should have grabbed that '26 Model T coupe on ebay last month, at $11k it was a good one, but probably will be reborn as a hot-rod.

Chris M.

James Elliott
James Elliott's picture
Offline
Joined: 2011-03-11

Oh, there have been hundreds, probably thousands, so I will pick just two:

I was once offered a perfectly serviceable Maserati 3500GT for £15,000. And this wasn't that long ago, and that wasn't that far off the usual asking price a decade or so ago. Bit cheap for sure, but not a giveaway by any means at the time. Thing is, I had just driven a bad one and was underwhelmed. I should have remembered instead against the perfect Vignale Spyder I had driven a couple of years earlier and bought it.

Then there was the Lancia Aurelia B20GT. I've been bleating about this as my dream car ever since I got involved with C&SC. So much so that someone once went to a lot of trouble to find me one at £10k. It was in Wales (and Aurelia people will instantly be able to pinpoint my car to the very barn it lived in from that). It needed brakes and I inexplicably chickened out. Again, a nice one was still under £25k then so at the time it didn't seem as dramatically cheap as it does now. A couple of weeks later I un-chickened-out, but it was too late.

I am sure this won't be my last visit to this thread!

n/a
Vespanation
Offline
Joined: 2011-08-06

So, it was 1983 and I was at Pennsylvania State University studying boring things.  I had a 1973 VW Beetle convertible that I was running on a typical college student budget, smaller than the ethics center in Rupert Murdocks brain.  I heard of a junkyard (scrapyard) in a town about 40 miles away that had a bunch of Beetles, and I needed a few bits, so I went to check it out.  I think it's a guy thing - roaming around junkyards and checking out the cars.  I think it's like the wow that women get while shopping, except, y'know, it won't fry your soul.  Anyway, I find the place, and really strangely, it's: A) HUGE, several thousand cars, and B) out in the middle of nowhere, so where did all the cars come from?  I ask the dude at the desk about Beetles and he says there's a bunch of those "foreign thangs out yonder", and points the way I should go.  Apparently, it's difficult to point accurately while drunk.  I start walking.  I come around a big truck, and sitting before me is the dream car of every young man, now older man, of a certain age - an Aston Martin DB5.  It was such an amazingly bizarre thing to see THERE, my mind kind of rejected what I was seeing for a second. "HOLY S***, that's a DB5!" I said.   It was not a happy car.  It had obviously been in a fire and was toast, but still very clearly a DB5.  So, I found my Beetle bits and went up to pay.  "Hey, what's up with the Aston Martin back there?" I asked.  "Which ones that?" he said.  "The burnt car, by the truck" I said.  "Oh that one", he answered. "it belonged to drug dealer.  Seems he was tryin' to move in on another drug dealers territory, so he torches the guys car to let him know he better back off."  Ouch!  Three things I clearly remember: 1) it was all there, nothing had been taken off it, 2) the winged "Aston Martin, David Brown" badges were still on the front and back and I kick myself to this day for not grabbing them, and 3) they had seemingly set the fire at the fuel filler, and the gas tank had exploded (the front of the car was nearly perfect);  the trunk lid had been folded back in the explosion, but the trunk lock had NOT let go.  "So, um, is it for sale? I asked, knowing that no matter what he said, I couldn't afford it.  "Yep, a thousand bucks".  It still hurts.

 

GreaseMonkey (not verified)

Ow!!!

Seen those barn-find DBs lately? Even a half burnt out DB5 would get a quarter of a mill these days.

Not sure the correct plural of Beetles is a bunch though? Bananas yes, but Beetles? A swarm maybe?

Anyone know?

Chris M.

James Elliott
James Elliott's picture
Offline
Joined: 2011-03-11

GreaseMonkey wrote:

Ow!!!

Seen those barn-find DBs lately? Even a half burnt out DB5 would get a quarter of a mill these days.

Not sure the correct plural of Beetles is a bunch though? Bananas yes, but Beetles? A swarm maybe?

Anyone know?

Chris M.

 

A "thrum" would be nice. 

n/a