What would you do with your last £100,000..?

15 replies [Last post]
MrBenovich
MrBenovich's picture

Ok. I don't have £100,000 burning a hole in my back pocket, but the often trod path of 'What would you buy with your lottery win?' is a game many of us have frequently played with friends and colleagues. Certainly it's monthly with me and mine when the new issue of C&SC comes out and all those lovely dealer ads are on display.

Back to the plot. Assuming one is fortunate to win a modicum of cash on the lottery. And that we have cleared mortgages, debt, treated friends, family, charity of choice. Bought a new family home. Kitted that out. Posh holiday. And then 1 or 2 nice modern everyday cars. You might not be left with as much change as you think... 

So, I thought if we said £100,000 is spare to allocate to our hobby of classic cars, what would you buy? Or perhaps the question can be expanded. Would you spank it all on one car you have always dreamed of owning? Or would you make it work harder and purchase several as a collection???

Coventry Climax

A nicely patinated XK120 fixed head with crossplies and spats, and an MGA or TR3a with the change.

James Elliott
James Elliott's picture

I'd probably buy really nice examples of the cars that I already have or had: a lovely restored Mk1 Interceptor, an original Mk1 2.5 PI and a nice S1 or S2 two-seater Elan would probably account for pretty much all that cash nowadays.

Or, I'd spend the lot on a 246 Dino.

Or, buy a B20 Aurelia, plus a C-V8 with the change.

n/a
Zagato
Zagato's picture

Easy, Ferrari 330GT. 

Or maybe a Maserati 3500GT?

Or perhaps a Lancia Flaminia GT and a Porsche 997 GTS? 

Or a Bentley S3 Continental Flying Spur and half a Facel Vega HK500?

Damn, this is too hard! I'll stick with my 911SC and spend the rest on booze and broads.

Zagato

Chris Martin
Chris Martin's picture

Does James know where he can still get a decent Dino for that money?

Or even a 330GT (which I always liked as a relatively cheap Ferrari and a good looking GT) might be over budget now.

I might just get lucky with a Facel Vega HK500 within the theoretical 100 G's but failing that a Cord Beverly sedan (no chance of an open one) would do me.

Another option would be an old Formula Ford racer and a '71 Mercedes 300SEL 6.3 to tow it with.

Chris M.

clark
clark's picture

A good DeLorean with a bit of extra work to improve it where needed (~£30k), a Gordon Keeble (~£35kish at last check), a Hawk Stratos replica if allowed (if not, an original Elan) and probably a good classic Mini. That'd cover all the bases I think.

riched

Good question

Being a tight wad, I would wait until current inflated prices fell back down to earth, like in the 90s

Failing that my own fantasy pick would be a TVR Trident or Clipper V8, V6 Ventura or Tycoon PI if one could be found of the six auto  TR6 based engined chassis types built.albeit this is a Hemi Chrysler V8 powered later Last one

In the meantime I get my kicks from a very fast 650 Street tracker motorcycle often passing out Classic vehicles ariving locally by ferry.

Apart from that I look forward to reading of other's good fortune "car wise" in my 3 free Classic and Sportscar Magazines!

Chris Martin
Chris Martin's picture

riched wrote:

Good question

Being a tight wad, I would wait until current inflated prices fell back down to earth, like in the 90s

Failing that my own fantasy pick would be a TVR Trident or Clipper V8, V6 Ventura or Tycoon PI if one could be found of the six auto  TR6 based engined chassis types built.albeit this is a Hemi Chrysler V8 powered later Last one

In the meantime I get my kicks from a very fast 650 Street tracker motorcycle often passing out Classic vehicles ariving locally by ferry.

Apart from that I look forward to reading of other's good fortune "car wise" in my 3 free Classic and Sportscar Magazines!

Good to see you're back Gav, been a bit quiet around here lately!

Chris M.

riched

Wasnt he banned?

Chris Martin
Chris Martin's picture

riched wrote:

Wasnt he banned?

Dunno, but how would the new Dick Ed know, he's only been on here since yesterday.

Best behave yourself and not rock too many boats if you want to come back with yet another new identity eh?

Chris M.

riched