Mint 1989 Corvette discovered after 23 years

No replies
WilliamFuller

A 1989 Chevrolet Corvette has been discovered in storage with only 67 miles on it. The car was taken off a dealer's lot when it was brand new. In absolutely new condition, it sold for approximately its initial selling cost. Are you currently trying to buy or sell a new or used auto? If this sounds like you, don’t go any place else before you research Gus Johnson dealership! Want to know find out more about Gus Johnson Ford? Just click here!

Thieved off a dealer’s lot

The vehicle was thieved off a dealer's lot in San Diego, Calif. all those years ago by an unidentified Irish immigrant, who was forced into the crime by members of a bad crowd he had fallen into. The burglar put the vehicle into a storage unit as he was instructed by his "associates," who called him on an annual basis to be sure it was still safely in mothballs.

The storage fee when he got it there in 1989 was only $50 a month, but it increased to $300 a month by 2012.

In 2012, the burglar decided to talk to a lawyer about his options now that he was in Ireland again and had already spent $70,000 in storage fees, much more than he would have paid with a Bankrate auto loan.

The statute of limitations was already expired on the crime, meaning he did not have to be concerned about prosecution, fortunately for him.

Car coated in dust
For a car that is really old, the 1989 Corvette was in perfect condition. It only had 67 miles on it and had a cost tag of $39,410 on it still. The tires were flat and there was dust all over it, but the San Diego Police found just a little gem in the storage locker.

To Get The Ultimate Price For A Pre-Owned Car, Van, Truck or SUV Consult Gus Johnson Cars Without Delay

Vehicle sold on eBay

The 'Vette was sold to an automobile wholesaler who in turn sold it to Corky Rice, a used car dealer in Glendale, Calif. Rice posted the vehicle for sale on e-Bay, telling it is unlikely-but-true tale. It garnered a ton of interest, such as an article in the LA Times.

Mike Robertson is an advertising executive in California who saw the LA Times piece. He said it was "like time capsuling an automobile for myself ... it was just a fantasy. But I imagined I'd take a shot at seeing if I could get it."

Robertson offered the initial sticker price on the car, but it actually wound up costing him just a little more at $39,471 to get the vehicle.

Driving it now

The new vehicle will not just sit around for a long time. The brand new owner promised to drive it around everywhere now that he has the brand new car.

Sources

AOL Autos
All Voices

Top Speed