To Ramble, or not to Ramble...

30 replies [Last post]
Chris Martin
Offline
Joined: 2011-08-20

I think it may have been in an old post a while back where the subject of 'Rambling' was first brought up by GBt and V-8 Woodie, but I am willing to be corrected. I can agree that some of GBt's posts did go way off topic, typically starting with a sentence regarding the previous post but then meandering off through various issues to a tale where someone from the sailing club once rode a LHD scooter to Denmark, or some such. That is true rambling taken to an art form. I once likened his writing to Van Morrison's best seventies work, and that was not necessarily an insult.

GBt has at least regularly posted something of his own to this forum, unlike one of the trolls on here, who has never contributed anything worthwhile himself but is always quick with a smart-arse reply or snide remark. Said troll recently accused me of rambling in a post that was otherwise only a well thought out and reasoned essay. As I had continued to ignore his previous attempts at derailing anything I posted, he decided it was time to create a new username, but the resulting drivel was so transparent he need not have bothered and he will continue to be ignored by whatever name he uses.

 I fully understand that when one's IQ is in an uphill battle to exceed one's shoe size then any sentence of more than five words must seem like a marathon on the road to enlightenment, but really, if you don't understand what you are reading there is no need to advertise one's ignorance. May I recommend instead that if anything on here gets too difficult, a quick trawl through ebay should come up with a copy of the Ladybird Book Of Motorcars, full of small words in big writing and plenty of colour pictures that don't need any clever uploading.

I am only posting this now to point out how inappropriate the behaviour of the trolls (a troll being internet slang for an online troublemaker) can be. The same person once posted a remark that my wife was "probably a dog" at the same time as she was facing a life-threatening situation. It does rather make a fool of someone who would gladly hurl insults around, even going so far as to include unknown family members as targets. While I never quite liked the idea that GBt would feel the need to share his personal health issues with the internet public on the forum, I will go against my better judgement only to say that my wife is making what some of the top specialists in Sydney are calling "a remarkable recovery" but still has a long way to go, hence my occasional enforced absences in the past and future from these pixillated pages due to extended hospital visits.

On a lighter note, I will say that for the most part I took the Chris Martin/Gwyneth jokes with good humour, initially at least, (it did wear a bit thin later), but while I will admit to envying the Coldplay frontman's bank balance, I think that in the 'who has the hotter wife' stakes I have him beat. Hopefully I will have Karen back home soon.

It would be interesting to see which way this forum goes eventually, a place for intelligent debate between like-minded car nuts, or are the trolls in the majority?

Meanwhile, I will be back with more car related stuff as and when.

Chris M.

 

GBt
GBt's picture
Offline
Joined: 2011-05-31

Well Mr Martin I should be rather flattered that your envy of my peerless knowlege and experience of life, has released yet another unprovoked attack of vitriol, in as usual the second person....

I do not know you personally  nor do I have any desire to .

End of

Chris Martin
Offline
Joined: 2011-08-20

GBt wrote:

Well Mr Martin I should be rather flattered that your envy of my peerless knowlege and experience of life, has released yet another unprovoked attack of vitriol, in as usual the second person....

I do not know you personally  nor do I have any desire to .

End of

Apologies to Gavin if it comes across that way. There was no 'vitriol' intended, I had in a way tried to say that I sometimes even enjoyed your contributions, while not always fully understanding them, at least you have been a regular poster of your own views and opinions. It may be interpreted as a back-handed sort of compliment I suppose, but take it as you see fit. Also, my comments were voiced by myself, in my own words, in the first person. My only criticism was that you occasionally write about personal health issues which in my opinion are not always appropriate on a public forum read by people who do not know you personally, but even that is just my opinion against yours and no big deal either way. I only mentioned it because I had always refrained from bringing my wife's problems up on here, but felt it necessary to do so now.

My main complaint is that another member, and you probably have a fair idea who that is, who has added nothing of any worth on here, would go so low as to post personal insults about someone who has never been mentioned on here before, about whom he knows nothing, and was, and still is, suffering serious medical issues. Yet he still tries to find new ways of having a go, and forum admin is unwilling or unable to do anything about it.

It now remains to be seen if anyone cares enough to right the wrongs or does the forum go to the lowest of the low. If that is the will of the majority I will happily bow out quietly.

Chris M.

 

Valve Bounce
Valve Bounce's picture
Offline
Joined: 2011-05-24

Keep Calm and Ramble On

Chris Martin
Offline
Joined: 2011-08-20

Valve Bounce wrote:

Keep Calm and Ramble On

Don't worry, I'm plenty calm. And a bit of Led Zep is probably a good idea this afternoon. Just got back from a hot drive across Sydney with dodgy air-con, so a blast of LZ II and some spag' and a glass of red will be enough.

Oh, and I forgot to add, that the forum member I mentioned will doubtless be thinking about how best to respond, but now I have said all that needs to be said on the matter, once again, he will be ignored, whichever name he uses to bait me.

Chris M.

 

petrolhead
Offline
Joined: 2011-07-02

Chris Martin wrote:

unlike one of the trolls on here, who has never contributed anything worthwhile himself but is always quick with a smart-arse reply or snide remark. Said troll recently accused me of rambling in a post that was otherwise only a well thought out and reasoned essay. As I had continued to ignore his previous attempts at derailing anything I posted, he decided it was time to create a new username, but the resulting drivel was so transparent he need not have bothered and he will continue to be ignored by whatever name he uses.

Chris M.

Another petty jab at me because your last one was a failure. What have I done to you recently? The reason that I haven't contirbuted much recently is because you've been back, and I didn't want to have someone arguing with everything that I say. As for me not contributing, well, have you seen the extent of drivel that you've been posting recently. And what exactly is my new username? I know that Gavin set up another user. Are you mistaking me for him? 

By the way, in the 'Favourite Forumite' thread, at least I got two votes, compared to your big fat zero. Carry on contrributing Chris. People clearly, ahem, love it.

I'd like to add that I recall you once saying that I always start all this, but last time, you came back after your enjoyable hiatus and had a pop at me, and now you do in another pointless thread.

I look forward to your reply, but I might not necessarily reply myself. This isn't funy anymore, your posts have become tedious and predictable. This post had yet more predictable 'advertising your ignorance' and your attempted witty 'IQ the same as your shoe size'. I have avioded talking to you recently, so either you enjoy having an argument, or your ignorance is worse than mine, as is your IQ. I think that both of these things are the case, but obviously, you don't.

PS: I didn't know that the whole Gwyneth Paltrow thing wound you up, but if it does, then I am more than willing to stop.

petrolhead
Offline
Joined: 2011-07-02

Chris Martin wrote:

Oh, and I forgot to add, that the forum member I mentioned will doubtless be thinking about how best to respond, but now I have said all that needs to be said on the matter, once again, he will be ignored, whichever name he uses to bait me.

Chris M.

No, you didn't forget to add this. You said it at the start. I wasn't going to reply at first, which shows that you are clearly more up for an argument than me. After seeing this post, that is why you got your reply. Don't wonder why I've replied. If you keep provoking me, then expect a response sooner or later. And for the record, it ain't me with multiple users. Just because the new guy doesn't seem to like you, it doesn't mean that he's me. You're not exactly making much effort to be polite on this forum. And if I will be ignored, then I don't expect a tedious response. I just expect you to stop making petty jibes. Even I thought you were better than this, Chris. Don't flatter yourself, it dioesn't take long to come up with a reply to your posts. I first read them about five minutes ago, and thought to myself, "God, he's at it again.". In all three of your posts on this thread, you have had a go at me. You can say that I haven't contributed anything of worth on this forum all you like, but the fact is neither have you. Your posts are irrelevant and boring, so stop having a go at me, and sort yourself out first. As I said before, in the 'Favourite Forumite' thread, at least I got two votes, while you got none. Clearly I'm doing something better than you. If you don't want this to happen, then don't keep provoking me. You say that I know nothing about you, and then you say that I am suffering from medical issues, hence proving that you know nothing about me. Having read your posts, I think that you're suffering from mental issues, but due to your mental issues, you, unlike me, will probably take that the wrong way.

petrolhead
Offline
Joined: 2011-07-02

GBt wrote:

Well Mr Martin I should be rather flattered that your envy of my peerless knowlege and experience of life, has released yet another unprovoked attack of vitriol, in as usual the second person....

I do not know you personally  nor do I have any desire to .

End of

You're lucky this time, Gav. I seem to be his main point of attack this time. Not that I can justify his attack at you, even though he tried. He has acted all apologetic, because this time, for some reason, I must have done something to annoy him. On all three of his posts on this thread he has had a go at me. To be honest, I haven't been on here much in the last week or so because of him, but this thread just frustrated me. He says that I should be booted off by the moderators, but surely someone who has started yet another thread that is clearly designed to create conflict, he should be the next on the list.

How are you by the way, Gav? I haven't been on here much recently (for reasons that I've already explained).

Chris Martin
Offline
Joined: 2011-08-20

All so predictable so far, but where, I wonder is the oh-so-funnily-named Diplomat?

C.M.

 

petrolhead
Offline
Joined: 2011-07-02

Chris Martin wrote:

All so predictable so far, but where, I wonder is the oh-so-funnily-named Diplomat?

C.M.

What do you mean 'so far'? I don't know about you, but I'm going to rise above this. As for Diplomat (or 'the oh-so-funnily named Diplomat'), you can think he's me if you want. I really couldn't care less. I just wish him good luck if you think he's me.

Enjoy the rest of your day Chris. You too Diplomat. If you can.

Diplomat
Offline
Joined: 2011-10-23

This is the exact same reason that I didn't join the forum a month or so ago when I came across it. What have I done to you exactly? It's quite obvious that you think that I am GTV in disguise, but if that is what you want to think, then fair enough. Why start a thread calling others trolls when it is obvious that there is only one troll here? Having read through previous posts, you were always the first to start a fire, and always the first to start getting personal. Here, you have intentionally gone out of your way to wind someone up in order to get a reaction. You have clearly got it in for Petrolhead, but you could at least try and be subtle about it. Your need to provoke both him and GTV is unfair. Let everyone enjoy the forum, and stop turning it into the battleground for WWIII.

Come on Mr Martin. Nobody likes a bully.

(EDIT: Does anyone know how to quote another post?)