Cars I have owned since 1962 to present day

95 replies [Last post]
harris speedster

Pistonbroke,

The ACD cars were all quite elegant and powefull machines of the day.

Needless to say, they are highly desirable and expensive automobiles nowdays.

Glad you filled us in on the other details of the Auburn Cabin Speedster, always enjoy learning more about automobile history!

Yeah, the web site, it took all of my piggy bank savings to get it to the point you see on the link, as I wanted a nice design that complimented Ben and his machine.

There never seems to be enough time to sort all of the research and docs to insert it all for discussion to finish the story, hopefully one day!

If you do get ahold of your friends in Europe, please ask them to search their old magazines for the magazine articles, always trying and pushing to move forward. Looking for a Playboy magazine here in the States, as the Harris family told me there was a article in an early edition, I would assume in the era of 1954-1958.

Figured it may align itself, time wise, with the Sports Illustrated first edition feature that had Jim Kimberly and Ben for their racing coverage.

Warmest regards,

John

Home of the exotic 1935 Harris fwd speedster

mrtotty

cscs wrote:

Best value – sorry guys the 1993 Ford Fairlane Ghia Sportsman – 204.000 km and no problems  - with 250 bhp, a great and very reliable car

Why apologise? Any Aussie Fairlane is a great car - a little crude by Euro standards but good, comfortable and reliable cars that will tow whatever you want.

petrolhead

I haven't had a car since December after I took a job that I could commute to by train. My office is now relocating, so I can now add another car to my list. Well, I'm actually taking delivery of it next Sunday (April Fools' Day). It won't interest a lot of you, I know, but it's more a case of practicality over performance. It's a Renault Grand Scenic, which is basically a seven seat version of the normal Scenic. I have three kids, so whilst seven seats isn't absolutely essential, it will come in handy when the kids' bring their friends home from school or when we bring the grandparents along with us. When not needed, the rear seats can fold down to give us loads of luggage space, which is handy for days out and if we go on holiday. In fact, if you also fold down the middle row of seats, it doubles up as a van! Being a people carrier, you would laugh at the prospect of it having a 1.2 litre engine, but it has a turbocharger and develops 115bhp.

GBt
GBt's picture

Yep the hospital transport that collected me from Papworth, a few weeks back(a niece took me the previous time in hubby's 5 series Diesel)was a Scenic Megane Turbo. On the way back I asked the guy is it petrol, and he said no, diesel, well it fooled me, and on geting out, there was a slight bit of rattle however I wouldnt have known otherwise had I not asked.

Another sailing chum, who has a home built Caterham superlight, great fun, also had a Super Espace Grande, albeit there was quite a bit of electronic digi probs, however that was a fair while ago. I went to a boat jumble with him in it, and their mutt did a woopsy in the back, so on those grounds mainly, I would have preferred to have gone in my old Mondeo.

mrtotty

Enjoy it (the 1.2 TCe).

There is a lot of concern over the Scenic's high fuel consumption as a diesel, so you won't have to worry about that.

petrolhead

GBt wrote:

Yep the hospital transport that collected me from Papworth, a few weeks back(a niece took me the previous time in hubby's 5 series Diesel)was a Scenic Megane Turbo. On the way back I asked the guy is it petrol, and he said no, diesel, well it fooled me, and on geting out, there was a slight bit of rattle however I wouldnt have known otherwise had I not asked.

Modern diesels can be incredibly quiet. The Mercedes 265bhp 3.0 diesel is quiter around town and on motorways than the Rolls-Royce Phantom and the Lexus hybrids! Apparently, it can rev quite high for a diesel, and some motoring magazine drove members of the public around in it on a racetrack and all of them thought it was a petrol when asked! It's also does 0-60 in 5.8 seconds thanks to bucket loads of torque! And it does nearly 50mpg! And it's got more creature comforts than almost any other car, as is the case with all top end Mercs! Things like massage seats, HDTVs, self parking system and so on! I'd love one of those for mile-munching and the occasional blast!

I hope my Renault will prove to be reliable! French cars tend to have a bad reputation, but I think modern cars are very dependent on how they are driven and how regularly they are serviced more than anything.

petrolhead

mrtotty wrote:

Enjoy it (the 1.2 TCe).

There is a lot of concern over the Scenic's high fuel consumption as a diesel, so you won't have to worry about that.

Thanks, and I hope I will enjoy it!

I nearly bought the diesel - there's a new 1.6 diesel that has 130bhp! I'll be doing roughly 15,000 miles per annum, so the diesel would make more sense, but the just released petrol engine won me over. It has S&S, and Renault claim it will do something like 47mpg. What with the increasing price of diesel, I thought I'd be better off with the petrol. Knowing me, I'll start regretting it! I always get peed off with myself - whichever decision I make, I always end up wishing I made the other one!

redranch
redranch's picture

Okay, so I've recently bought a few more cars to add to my earlier list...

A 1966 Chevrolet Impala Convertible and a 1976 Lincoln Continental Mk lV, both of which will be sold soon.

But with all the earlier talk of Auburn I thought I'd mention I've bought a 1930 Auburn Cabriolet 8-95 which is a project car but will be on the road again next year...I try and post a few photos later.

Peter

Chris Martin
Chris Martin's picture

redranch wrote:

Okay, so I've recently bought a few more cars to add to my earlier list...

A 1966 Chevrolet Impala Convertible and a 1976 Lincoln Continental Mk lV, both of which will be sold soon.

But with all the earlier talk of Auburn I thought I'd mention I've bought a 1930 Auburn Cabriolet 8-95 which is a project car but will be on the road again next year...I try and post a few photos later.

Peter

Oh Yes!

Love the Auburn!

Is that the one you posted a photo of a while back in the 'Barn Finds' thread? Definitely want to see more of that.

Chris M.

redranch
redranch's picture

No, this is a new barn find...and it needs some work. I'll post some photos, but for now you can see it (them) on my flickr account:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/redranch/

Hopefully these links will work too: