While the classic car auction world was focused on Scottsdale, Arizona, Mecum was busy setting world records in Florida.
The 10-day Mecum Marathon in Kissimmee from 18-27 January totalled nearly 3500 lots with 1811 vehicles sold at an impressive 70% sale rate and a vast $71,635,356 sale total.
Top seller was a 1966 Shelby Cobra 427 Roadster CSX3301 that sold for $735,000, nearly $200k ahead of the second-placed 1968 Chevrolet Corvette L88 Convertible at $550,000
A 1969 Ford Mustang Boss 429 Fastback came in third at $417,000.
After the event – which attracted some 75,000 visitors – company boss Dana Mecum said: "Plenty of auction companies in the past have laid claim to putting on the Super Bowl of auctions. Mecum has gone where no auction company has ever gone before by hosting the first true collector car marathon, and we did it successfully.
"Kissimmee broke last year’s record by more than 25% offering 2610 cars on our march to 3000, and we look forward to reaching our goal of breaking the 3000 car barrier next year in the sunny state of Florida."
The Top 10 sale results (not including 6% buyer's premium) were:
1. 1966 Shelby Cobra 427 Roadster CSX3301 (Lot S155), which sold for $735,000
2. 1968 Chevrolet Corvette L88 Convertible (Lot S172) at $550,000
3. 1969 Ford Mustang Boss 429 Fastback (Lot S116) at $417,000
4. 1966 Ford Mustang SCCA Group 2 A/Sedan Racer (Lot S132) at $400,000
5. 1970 Plymouth Hemi Cuda (Lot S123) at $320,000
6. 1963 Chevrolet Corvette Z06 (Lot S128) at $310,000
7. 1963 Chevrolet Corvette Split Window Coupe (Lot F242) at $275,000
8. 1967 Chevrolet Corvette Convertible (Lot S117) at $250,000
9. 1962 Chevrolet Corvette Big Brake Tanker (Lot F245) at $242,000
10. 2005 Ford GT (Lot S182) at $220,000