Jowetts flock to Wales

| 10 Jul 2012

More than 100 Jowetts attended last month’s International Rally organised by the Jowett Car Club.

The event took place in Llandrindod Wells and attracted models such as the Jupiter Saloon, stylish Jupiter Tourer, the streamlined Javelin and the post-war estate car called the Utility.

Jowett began building bicycles in 1901, but turned to cars in 1906, although the first car didn’t make production until 1910 after completing 25,000 miles of testing.

The Bradford-based company went on to build a number of cars and commercial vehicles before the company shut down in 1954 after the loss of a key supplier and falling sales, but not before it had produced around 65,000 cars.