TRABANT P60 (600)/601
2-door saloon, estate car.
First seen as the 500cc Zwickau P50 (latterly Trabant P50) of 1958-62, and given 595cc engine in 1962 to become P60 (or '600'); this interim model replaced by restyled 601 in 1964. Always front-drive and powered by air-cooled vertical-twin two-stroke. Body initially of resin-reinforced papier machè and subsequently of Duroplast - which is plastic resin reinforced with natural fibres including cotton waste; it is therefore incorrect to say the 'Trabbi' has a glass-fibre body. Final run of cars, 1990-91, used 1.1-litre VW Polo engine.