1966 Daihatsu compagno spider

13 replies [Last post]
Axristos13

Hello all,

I have the opportunity to buy a 1966 Daihatsu Compagno Spider convertible, restored in excellent condition. Problem is, i know nothing about this model and it is hard to gather info online.

Even though there were 120,000 cars made, i cannot find any for sale on the web.

Does anyone have any experience and is willing to share some info on it?

i appreciate your help!

nicolas

James Elliott
James Elliott's picture

n/a
Axristos13

Thanks James. I know the specs of the car, i was more interested in hearing from people who have hands on experience and they can tell me about its driving, maintenance, issues etc.

James Elliott
James Elliott's picture

Can't help you there I am afraid. I have never known anyone who has owned one.

Have you tried the owners' club?

n/a
Chris Martin
Chris Martin's picture

That looks too slick for a sixties Japanese car, who designed that? 

Looks very Pinifarina in that ad illustration.

Chris M.

stoney
stoney's picture

Hi Nicolas,

I have a 68 compagno spider. What info do you want to know?

In reply to designer, it was Vignale.

Craig

Chris Martin
Chris Martin's picture

stoney wrote:

In reply to designer, it was Vignale.

Craig

Thanks.

Surprising we have not heard more about these; the design, as I noted, was very elegant for a Japanese car of the time.

At least they were smart enough to know they needed to get a good design house on the case; many other Jap cars of the period suffered from looking like they were drawn by children who had never seen a car who were shut in a dark room with only broken crayons to use.

Chris M.

duawalker

Hi nicolas

Have you tried looking for the car at copart auto auctions or at salvagereseller? If not then have a look at there . I have purchased my first car from there but after doing thorough inspection. To know more visit website of salvage reseller.

Grahamkathy

Hi Nicholas, I have 2 Daihatsu Spider Convertables , owned one for over 13 years & the other one for 2years . What area are you in ? .Is the Spider you are  considering buying red ? . I live in Brisbane . What information do you need ? Graham 

Axristos13

Thank you for the offer. But after i checked it out it had serious rust on it so i abandoned the idea of buying it. Instead i just bought a Singer Gazelle convertible 1961 that looks great!

Chris Martin
Chris Martin's picture

Axristos13 wrote:

Thank you for the offer. But after i checked it out it had serious rust on it so i abandoned the idea of buying it. Instead i just bought a Singer Gazelle convertible 1961 that looks great!

And how rare are they these days?  Used to have a Minx IIIA convertible back in England in the '70s when such things were around for small change - wish I had it now.  Would love to see photos on here if you can.

Chris M.