Top 10 cars under 1000cc.

19 replies [Last post]
petrolhead

Excluding motorcycles, which vehicles do you most desire to own with less than a one litre engine. There's been a lot of talk of muscle cars on this forum of late, and the threads about the Fiat 500 and the Mini have made me wonder, what are the best cars you could own with under 1000cc? After all, you don't need lots of car for lots of fun. My shortlist is as follows:

01) Austin Mini 1000 (The obvious choice. Goes without saying.)

02) Fiat 500F (For sheer desirability.)

03) Fiat 500C Twinair (For nearly 70mpg, green credentials and impressive performance.)

04) Daihatsu Charade GT-ti (Despite being from the 80s, still the fastest accelerating car with under 1000cc to date, with a 0-60mph time of just 7.7 seconds.)

05) Suzuki Jimny 0.7 (For when the going gets tough, or if it snows. Otherwise, never leaves the garage. Ever.)

06) Volkswagen Polo 1.0E (For a dependable and reliable runabout with German engineering.)

07) Caterham Seven Fireblade (Although I specified no motorbikes, the Honda Fireblade powered Seven is still a car well suited to track days.)

08) Nissan Figaro (A classy car with lots of luxury and extras. The Micra underpinnings make for an easy drive when combined with the automatic gearbox, and it is sure to be bombproof.)

09) Reliant Robin (Always wanted a three-wheeler. Heaven knows why.)

10) Citroen 2CV (To bring back memories of my old one which I grew attached to over the years.)

I think I've covered all the basis, and would have a car for everything. Close contenders included the BMW Isetta (which I was put off by due to its lack of a reverse gear), the Honda Life Step Van of 1972 and the Ford Fiesta L. I look forward to seeing what your ideal under 1000cc garage would consist of.

plastic penguin
plastic penguin's picture

Only one for me: Herald 948 Coupe.

James Elliott
James Elliott's picture

Fiat 850 Spider

Autobianchi Stellina

Abarth-Fiat 750

Unipower GT

Turner Sports

Alpine A110 (with the small engine)

Triumph Herald 948 coupé

Bonnet Djet

Cisitalia 850

Austin A35

GSM Delta

BMW 700

Austin-Healey 'Frogeye' Sprite

Lancia Ardea

All Berkeleys

Lightburn Zeta/Goggomobil Dart

Oh gosh, loads more

n/a
mk1coopers

1. 970 Cooper S

2. Minisprint'd 998 Cooper

3. 1961 997 Cooper

4. James Hunts Van ( think that was under 1000?)

5. Woody Mini Traveller

Only a top 5 I know (and with a bit of a theme running through it!)

Chris Martin

Small motor usually implies small car, and that is a big no-no for me as one who suffers serious claustrophobia (really, when I took the tourist boat trip around Capri, I was the only one that would not go into the Blue Grotto, they all laughed at the idiot outside...).

So I have to stick to open cars and a few already mentioned would make my list.

Early Triumph Herald convertible.

Fiat 850 Spider.

Goggomobil Dart

Citroen 2CV (such a hoot to drive)

Any Berkeley

Austin 7

and I would love to have a go in one of those early fifties F3 racers, a Cooper JAP or similar

C.M.

Are those two basketball players, or is the Goggomobil a small car?

Chris Martin

With a decent glasshouse, and a lay-back seating I could make an exception for the gorgeous Moretti 850.

C.M.

GBt
GBt's picture

Wankel NSU Spider anyone, albeit technically there is a formula that puts that and an RX2 into the 2 litre field so techically they arent strictly within the bounds herein, a mate lent me his lurid lime green un' to take a gal to brands in rather than balance a hamper out back on the carrier,on my rice burner Jap GT bike.But the same make did a Wankel which was like Norton's Rotary set at 500cc.but u know me a bit of parameter stretching helps matters along a pace-oh yeah Honda S 350, S500, or non chain drive S800, have a couple of them in open and closed forms.If I could fit into one.

Dinsdale Piranha
Dinsdale Piranha's picture

Still trying to get my head round the concept of sub 1000cc, do they make V8s that small? :-)

Oh alright, there is one close to my heart

Chris Martin

Dinsdale Piranha wrote:

Still trying to get my head round the concept of sub 1000cc, do they make V8s that small? :-)

An interesting idea, can anyone think of one? If BRM were able to make a 1.5 litre V16 then why not? That equates to 93.75cc per cylinder. And the way the next generation F1 regs are going, we may be heading that way.

So, just for the sake of it, what is the smallest V8 anyone can come up with?

C.M.

Dinsdale Piranha
Dinsdale Piranha's picture

The smallest one that I can think of is the 2 litre that Ferrari fitted to the 308 to make the 208 for the Italian market because of tax reasons.  I think I recall some inventive lunatic coming up with a V8 lump for a motorbike but I can't remember who it was or whether it ever actually got built?

GBt
GBt's picture

well if you arent just talking engines only, as the heading says, "discounting bikes", then  the only 2  small V8s would be the one fitted to a Flying merkel, before the US entered the First Global Conflict, however the one old Biker loving lags like me can recall, was the Moto Guzzi V8 of 1957, that being 500cc for the Senior TT, and was albeit never officially verified, the first bike to do a 100 MPH lap, with I think Bill Ivy aboard- It had what was referred to as a dustbin fairing for the state of the Art aerodynamics.

back to the cars then

Imp 875-and sport.

Hartwell and works Imps 998

California 875-Stilletto, based on same shell with 875 Sport engine.

Singer Chamois, and Sport.

Davrien 875/998

Ginetta G12-875 Sport.

Clan Crusader 875 Sport

TVR Tina-Imp Sport.

And Dennis Fire tenders, OK they had XK engines, but the fire hose pump was pure Coventry Climax, that the Limp unit was derived from.

Oh and one more while the cogs are grinding on and I'm not getting into too deep hot water,-Amphicar-Herald 948 Engine.